Yarkon River, Israel

Yarkon River

Yarkon River

 

is located in central Israel. The source of the Yarkon River is at Tel Afek (Antipatris), which is located north of Petah Tikva. The River flows west through Gush Dan through to Yarkon Park into the Mediterranean Sea. The Yarkon is the largest coastal river in Israel, at 27.5 km in length.

Yarkon Park is a few minutes away from the great outdoors. The park stretches hundreds of acres along Yarkon River and has a unique beauty with hidden spots. Who would have thought it was so close to the city of Tel Aviv.

In 1988, Israel’s Yarkon River Authority initiated and establishment to revitalize the river for more outdoor recreation. They included several sections of the river suitable for sailing, fishing, swimming and other recreation. They have also revive the Water quality, which improved after Israel constructed a modern sewage treatment plants in different cities.

The Yarkon River was restored to its original depth, after it was drenched, in order to make a natural flow. River banks were raised and reinforced, paths for hiking and bicycling were built. Contributions from the Australian Jewish community via the Jewish National Fund. The Yarkon River formed the southern border of the vilayet of Beirut during the late Ottoman period.

The British government granted to Pinhas Rutenberg’s Jaffa Electric Company exclusive rights to generate, distribute, and sell electricity, to the district of Jaffa. These rights were delivered through the “Auja Concession”, which was formally signed on September 12, 1921. The Concession had authorized the company to generate electricity by means of hydroelectric turbines. The district comprised Jaffa, the oldest and at the time still most important town in the area, the fast growing town of Tel Aviv and other smaller locations. Yet the plan to generate electricity by hydroelectric means never materialized, and instead the company designed and built a powerhouse through by means of diesel-fueled engines.

In the 1950’s. the Yarkon River became increasingly polluted. Many people were blaming the on-going construction of the Reading Power Station.